The Netherlands is known for its good infrastructure and as a cycling country. This means that there are many facilities for cyclists and good roads, bicycle paths, traffic lights for cyclists, even bicycle bridges. Which is necessary, because the Netherlands is quite densely populated and relatively small. Because of this, it is often busy in traffic and probably different from any other country.

When you come to work at Flexible Human Services in the Netherlands, there is a chance that you will bike to and from work. Dutch people cycle from an early age, this allows them to do this well. Have you never cycled before or not very often? Then make sure you practice cycling on a quiet road or place first, so you can get on the road safely. Be mindful of other road users such as road cyclists, scooters and electric bikes that can pass you fast. It's a lot busier than you're used to in your home country.


There are a lot of bicycle paths in the Netherlands, they are often red-colored. Some bike paths are on the freeway, but they may also be completely separate from the freeway. Through Google Maps, for example, you can also search routes for cyclists. To cycle safely, it is also important to follow the traffic rules. In the dark it is mandatory to have working bike lights, also you are not allowed to use your phone on your bike. You can be fined for this.


Keep in mind that fines in the Netherlands are very high compared to other countries in Europe. For example, the fine for driving through a red light is 280 euros (2023), in Poland the fine for the same offense is about 65 euros. Also make sure you always have working (and visible) bicycle lights. This first of all for your own safety, but if you bike without lights in the dark you can be fined (60 euros). The fine for using your phone on the bike is 140 euros. If you use your phone handheld as a driver of a motor vehicle, the fine is even 350 euros. For all fines and current prices, you can check the Dutch government's fine database.


In the event of a collision with another person or car, you should always write down the other person's contact information. So name, phone number, address, e-mail address.

If you are driving a car from FHS (i.e. it is not in your name) and are involved in a collision, it is important to contact us immediately.

The police should be called when there are injuries, the damage is very extensive or when there is driving under the influence, without a driver's license or without insurance. You can call the police at +31 900-8844. If someone is seriously injured and an ambulance is needed, always call 112!

Caution! In the Netherlands it is a crime to continue driving after a collision/accident. You should at all times exchange information, offer assistance or call for help when necessary.

It is wise to fill out a European claim form with the other party involved in an accident. This form is important for insurance purposes.

If you choose to come to work at Flexible Human Services and also indicate that you would like housing, this will be provided by our partner In addition to your housing, you will also receive a free loaner bike from This does not automatically mean that you have to bike to work. That depends on the distance between your housing location and the client where you will be working. If the distance is too great, you will be transported to work by car, van or coach. For medium distances, you may also receive an electric loaner bicycle. All transportation provided by is free of charge. It is no obligation to use the offered transport, you are always free to arrange your own transport. When you choose to do so, the costs are for yourself.

Public transportation

We understand that discovering public transportation in a new country can be challenging, but don't worry. The Netherlands has an efficient and reliable public transportation system that will easily get you around the country. Here are some handy tips to get you started:

OV-chipkaart: Your Key to Travel
Dutch public transport works with the OV-chipkaart. This card is your access pass to trains, buses, streetcars and subways. Be sure to purchase an OV-chip card and load balance onto it before you travel. You can do this at special charging stations or online.

You can buy an Anonymous OV-chipkaart at the following places:

  • Ticket machines at NS stations.
  • Supermarkets such as Albert Heijn and Plus.
  • Tobacconists/bookstores such as Primera, AKO and Readshop, Bruna
  • Service desks of public transport companies such as GVB, Arriva and Connexxion.

Or order a personal OV chip card online.

You can top up your OV-chipkaart at train stations, Albert Heijn and Primera stores. But there are many more places where this is possible, through this website you can find a recharge location near you.

You can also travel without an OV-chip card. For example, in every bus/tram you can also use debit cards. Also at all train/metro stations there are ticket machines to buy a separate ticket. Often you pay a little more than when traveling with an OV-chip card.

The Netherlands is known for its extensive rail network. Trains are a fast and efficient way to travel long distances. Check departure times on station signs or via the 9292 application and make sure you get on the right train. With your OV-chip card you can check in and out. A loose ticket also requires you to check in and out at one of the poles.

Buses and Trams
For local travel, buses and streetcars offer excellent options. Consult timetables at stops or use helpful apps such as 9292 to find the fastest route. Remember to check in when you board and check out when you exit. Keep in mind that in villages and quiet areas, transportation vehicles will run less regularly. Also, buses and streetcars only run until a certain time in the evening and not at night. So plan your trip well.

In major cities such as Amsterdam and Rotterdam, the subway is a popular way to travel. Follow the color codes and line numbers to take the right direction. The OV chip card or a separate ticket is also required here.

Useful Apps and Websites
Use apps such as 9292 and NS Reisplanner for real-time travel information. These apps help you plan your trip, show actual departure times and warn of any delays. These apps plan your trip from your start to your end point and take into account all possible types of public transportation for your route. Super convenient! But public transportation routes are also easy to find via Google or Google Maps.

Own car

Of course, it is also possible for you to provide your own housing and thus live privately. If you choose that, you also rely on your own transportation to get to work.

When you take your car to the Netherlands, there are a few things important to know.
You may simply drive a car with a non-Dutch license plate in the Netherlands.
Only there are obligations:

  • The vehicle must have a valid/active registration, this must be arranged in the country where the license plate was issued.
  • Active motor vehicle liability insurance.
  • A valid periodic inspection

In the Netherlands we have 2 types of car taxes. MRB (Rijden op de Weg Tax) and BPM (Import Tax). These taxes may also apply to foreigners with foreign cars. This depends on where your "main" residence is. This may be in your home country, or in the Netherlands. It is up to you to prove (if asked by the tax authorities or the police) where your "Main" residence is. It also has to do with how long you stay in the Netherlands with your car with foreign license plate whether you have to pay taxes or not.

Main residence outside Netherlands:
MRB: Exemption for 6 months. After 6 months of residence in the Netherlands, you are required to pay MRB to the Dutch tax authorities.
BPM: Exemption forever.

Main residence in Netherlands:
MRB: You have to pay from the moment you have arranged your own residence in the Netherlands, or are registered in the GBA/BRP (Overheid Basis Administratie). The amount depends on the weight and fuel type of your car. The older, bigger and more polluting for the environment your car is, the more you pay.

BPM: You have to pay this tax the moment you have arranged your own home, or are registered in the GBA/BRP (Overheid Basis Administratie) with the municipality. The amount depends on the new price of the car and the age of the car.

You have to inform the tax authorities yourself whether you have to pay taxes or not . If you don't, you run the risk of being caught during a police/tax inspection. You will have to pay the tax, including a fine of 50% to 100%. These amounts can be very high. So pay close attention whether you have to pay taxes or not for your car.

No rights can be derived from the text above.

Always consult the Dutch tax authorities ' website for the most up-to-date information.

On this page you will find documents in different languages regarding the taxation of vehicles with foreign license plates.

Useful applications

Finding your way in a new country is often difficult, fortunately there are several applications that can help you with this.

Google Maps and Apple Maps make it easy to find the quickest route to your destination. Store, supermarkets and restaurants are also easy to find in them. Both applications can also give bicycle routes. Caution! You should not have your cell phone in your hand while cycling.

For the car, there are also more useful apps. The application Waze is similar to the above applications, only this app adapts your route to current traffic conditions. Due to the large number of users, this is often more accurate than Google Maps, for example.

Then there is the application Flitsmeister. You may not use this application in every country. But in the Netherlands you can, with full functionality! Besides navigation, this application offers warnings for dangerous traffic situations, as well as speed cameras and speed checks.

The Language & Integration page has tips on what you can do in your free time. But also where to find great hiking and biking routes.